Utilitarianism, which is a type of naturalism, the laws of nature. It is when one's identity or self-interest is rightly understood. It creates the idea that there should be some idea of the common good.
Expressionism, on the other hand, emphasises on the "authentic self". The way to be in the world (standards), rather than tradition, obligation and commitment. The aim is ‘self-fulfilment through ‘knowing’ yourself – there is no such thing as a moral consensus.
What is the problem here then? Imagine a classroom full of students who want to search for their "authentic self identity". It will probably look like this... or worse...
| "Free Spirit" in classrooms |
Rieff suggested in Sociology on Culture that “Traditional moral authorities such as the churches and parents no longer have (or, in many cases, want) the power make rules and enforce them. There is a sense in which, compared to other eras, almost anything goes”. (p.25) It is scary when you think about it, like the image that is shown above, now we are just "free spirits". (Like how my high school teacher would put it)
Schools are "traditional moral authorities". We know when to listen and obey certain rules. We are aware that the teachers are the ones who have more authorities over us, thus we know that we need to quiet when they are talking. However, as humans, we seek to identify ourselves. We desire to learn who we really are, we seek for opportunities and freedom to do so. This sense of "SELF", the word "I" is itself rebellious, is Desire to go against society, to strive for freedom against the constraints of social institutions and relationships with others. And that was the reason why we've always had labels of people around at my high school, for example, FOBs, niggas, rock n' rolls, etc. Despite the fact that they don't actually wanted to be called like that. It was simply a cultural thing to do. it is interesting that sometimes they call themselves by "tags" to fit into this particular culture. I was called to be a FOB, and I certainly agree because I do have an accent in some sort... But I would only allow certain groups of people to call me by that "tag" to make myself feel better about myself. And I do that because I know it would make myself look humorous and I would fit into my own "Asian group" easier. As students, we know when and where to allow our "free spirits" to go around. This is an act of expressing our "authentic self", without morals. Obviously, we won't call anyone a FOB, nigga or something even worse in front of a teacher. Because we know that we will get into trouble if we did. There are, of course, girls who do that...and you know the consequences...
My point is that, identity politics has challenged the idea of ‘universal man’. In some sense, it has broken the idea of moral and tradition. On the other hand, here is always a balance in between Utilitarianism and Expressionism simply because morals and traditions do exist and have authority to a certain extend in our educational fields.
Reference:
Handbook of Sociological Theory - edited by Jonathan H. Turner
Facebook photos
Textbook: Sociology on Culture
Textbook: Sociology on Culture
Dear Jackie,
ReplyDeleteAn interesting post. One thing to consider would be the type of work identity categories do - e.g. when someone is called a 'FOB' how does this position them? Does the context matter?
Regards,
Kal
Dear Kal,
ReplyDeleteIt definitely categorises them as to who they really are. There might be a sense of stereotyping since we can't really define anyone by what they look like or how they dress up. They can choose to present themselves in certain ways that they view as "fashionable" or "cool". In the school, for example, we see FOBs usually hang out with other FOBs. This then automatically excludes anyone else who they view are not FOBs. However, by wearing the same school uniform, it minimises this sense of discrimination it creates. Thus, I think, is a reason why schools have uniform system and particular rules set for it.
Furthermore, how we identify ourselves are always different and we choose to present ourselves accordingly. I know that I have to dress up properly when I went to see Tommy Emmanuel's concert as a respect to him and the others. And this is why, we humans are always conscious about ourselves and judgement from the others. As this, we seek to define ourselves in its very being in this repetitive world.
Don't know if I made sense. I will keep trying though. Thank you